Friday, March 5, 2010

Color toned


SORRY FOR THE LAME IMAGES. SCANNERS AND I DO NOT GET ALONG.

So as much as I enjoy colored paper, it's just so hard to really build up lights and darks with it. It really throws me off sometimes when I use a color as a mid-tone value.
On top of that, we only get about 30-40 minutes to do a 'still life' drawing. And the model needs breaks so nothing is really 'exact'.

So I feel like I could do a lot better with more time.


I was wrong: The actual drawing is more pleasing to the eye in person. The scan just didn't come out right... There's a glare from the graphite. I guess I should use the smoother side of the paper? I believe this is Strathmore... or was it Canson. Oh well. This was a rather long drawing, I guess I got bored with it after an the usual 30-40 minutes we have and just kinda ruined it by mindlessly sketching at it.

I think I'll use the 'preferred' side of the paper instead of the textured back the next time I attempt to shade/complete a drawing. Maybe that way it'll prevent future glare?

Question for you all! What's your biggest challenge when work long period drawings/assignments/music/anything? Do you feel like you hit a certain point during the process only to think that if you continue you'll just ruin it?

Also: Do you prefer the rough side or the smooth side of drawing paper?

4 comments:

  1. I like the smooth side better, also when dealing with glare, and getting darker darks, use an ebony pencil. If you want to stick to pencil use to softer material that comes out better. For most pencil works I find it best to use the scale of H and B pencils.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did use an ebony pencil, and an 8b pencil :(
    Thanks though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really? that seems so strange, my only suggestion would be to use charcoal pencils then ^^ but they are very different.

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) Thanks Kristen. I think I should- since its such a dark tone paper- softer graphite probably doesn't show up as effectively as i'd want it to.

    ReplyDelete